Memory Lanes …rally tales (ISBN: 978-0-9558074-9-7)
MORE STORIES, MORE PICTURES FROM THE GOLDEN YEARS
This new 425 page, A4 sized volume is the last in the Memory Lanes series. The contents cover a wide variety of rally stories from the sixties and seventies and build upon the previous A5 Rally Tales books that have been produced annually over the last five years, including new stories and some 570 black and white photographs.
There are 53 stories in total embracing:
- tributes to John Bloxham, Supersport’s Jim Gavin and Castrol’s Roger Willis
- Chris Sclater’s 1971 Scottish rally wining Escort and its newly completed recreation
- Ford Corsairs (yes, Corsairs!) in rallying
- Bill Bengry’s marathon Cortina
- Tony Pond’s first gravel rally in his Cooper S
- Photographic study of “old school” servicing
– there are many additions within previous stories such as those covering Colin Malkin and Tony Fowkes, an assessment as to the speed of Malcolm Patrick’s Porsche Carrera on the 1973 Stocktonian rally and a fascinating account of two “forays” into continental rallying and their “interesting” results.
– and detailed accounts of:
- Kevin Gormley’s career as a freelance co-driver
- Martin Holmes’ sixty year rally career with tributes from around the world
- Bill Gwynne’s career from scrambles championship winner at the age of 16, his time as a road and stage rallying champion, to the founding of his innovative rally school and then his engineering and testing acivities with tributes from those who knew him best
- others including that of top road rallying navigator and professional co-driver Don Barrow and top photographer Hugh Bishop,
Memory Lanes …rally tales represents this fascinating period of rallying with classic rally pictures of the cars and events that made this period the Golden Years of rallying. It is a book aimed at the growing number of enthusiasts of this period, younger rally supporters who want to know what it is all about and for motorsport enthusiasts in general.
Mike May: Wonderful read
Kelvin Sparrowhawk: Very good book added to my collection
Greg Harrand: Had a quick flick through my copy, looks like another great job
John Cadwallader: Another brilliant book – a must add for your collections
Chris Withers: An amazing book, such comprehensive coverage and such detail! It’s a brilliant book and you have recorded so much for posterity that might otherwise have been lost. Congratulations.
Peter Herbert: As someone who lived through the Golden Age of rallying that this volume covers as spectator, marshal, competitor and enthusiast it was a pleasure to read especially the sections about people, cars and teams I had heard of but knew little about.
John Pulleyn: The book is a wonderul read, really enjoying it. Great work Peter once again.
Ian Shapland (Old Stager): This fabulous book does exactly what it says on the cover; a wonderfully eclectic and fascinating collection of rally tales by Peter Robinson…… Absolutely fascinating stuff well laid out with 575 photos, many previously unpublished. If you were only going to buy one book on rallying, this ought to be the one to buy.
There are no reviews yet.